Home > Departments & Agencies > Economic Development > Erie Regional Planning Commission > MPO > Specialized Transportation Program

Specialized Transportation Program

The Erie Regional Planning Commission administers the applications for a Specialized Transportation Program Grant in the ERPC planning area.

This is a capital grant to assist organizations in providing transportation services to help meet the special needs of elderly and disabled persons where transportation services are unavailable, insufficient or inappropriate.

Eligible Applicants must be located in the ERPC area and are:

  • Private Nonprofit Corporations, OR
  • Public Bodies approved by the State to coordinate services or which certify to ODOT that no private nonprofit corporations are readily available in their area to provide transportation services to elderly persons and persons with disabilities.

Eligible Projects are:                                    Vermilion_SR_60_Sidewalks.jpg

  • Vehicles
  • Microcomputer
  • Other Vehicle Modifications or Equipment approved by ODOT

Applicants may apply for up to 80% of the total project cost. The remaining 20% must be provided by the grantee and must be from non-federal sources.

Applications, instructions, and deadlines can be found at the Ohio Department of Transportation website.  For any additional information regarding this program please contact the Erie County Regional Planning Commission at 2900 Columbus Ave., Sandusky, Ohio 44870 (419) 627-7792.

Safe Routes to School Program

The Safe Routes To School (SRTS) program was created under the Safe Accountable Flexible Efficient Transportation Equity Act (SAFETEA-LU) transportation bill. The SRTS aims to encourage and provide safer routes to those school children in grades K-8 that walk or bike to school. By encouraging and enabling children to use active transportation, communities can cut costs, offer healthy options and improve the area surrounding the school. National statistics indicate that more than a third of youths aged 9 to 15 live within a mile of school, but less than half of these students walk or bike even one day a week. This is a lost opportunity for students to get much-needed physical activiity and to learn more about their neighbors and the community.

The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) is beginning a new application cycle for its widely recognized Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program. Last year, ODOT awarded nearly $11 million to communities across the state for school crossing signals, bike/pedestrian facilities, educational materials and School Travel Plans. The Erie County Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) has assisted the Perkins and Vermilion school systems with School Travel Plans (STP). An STP is a written document that acts as a guiding document to incorporate the Safe Routes to School program into the community. Once the STP is approved, a community can submit an application for funding and potentially be awarded $500,000 for infrastructure improvements and $100,000 in non-infrastructure improvements. Plans call for the MPO to assist the Sandusky School System complete an STP in 2012.

Anyone interested in getting more information about the SRTS program can contact Erie Regional Planning at 419-627-7792 or via email at To Contact Us

For more information on the Ohio Safe Routes to Schol program visit:

Division of Planning - Systems Planning & Program Management