Home Resources Veterans Services
Temporary Financial Assistance
If you are a veteran and/or a dependent of a veteran and you have established residency in Erie County for 90 days, you may be eligible for temporary funds for food, housing and utilities. When determining your financial need, we will consider proof of your veteran status (DD214 or other separation or discharge record), proof of household income and assets and current bills.
Unemployed veterans must be actively seeking employment or must provide medical evidence of their inability to work.
The Veterans Service Commission operates a van to transport veterans of Erie County to the Cleveland area VA Medical Centers. Home pick-up is available Monday through Friday at 6:30 a.m. We also provide commercial transportation to the Sandusky VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic.
At Your Service
The Erie County Veterans Service Commission and Office will assist you with establishing benefits from the following sources:
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Service Connected Compensation
- Non-Service Connected Disability (wartime service only)
- VA Healthcare Enrollment
- Death and Burial Benefits
- Vocational Rehabilitation
Summary of VA Benefits for Veterans
Summary of VA Benefits for National Guard & Reserve Personnel
Flags and Grave Markers
Our office will assist in applying for a monument to mark the grave of an eligible veteran and the VA provides an American flag to drape an eligible veteran's casket.
What You Should Know About the Erie County Veterans Service Commission
- The Erie County Veterans Service Commission has written guidelines that outline its policy on financial assistance which is available upon request.
- You will be treated with dignity, and respect and your financial information will be protected from public release.
- When you file for financial assistance, the Erie County Veterans Service Commission is required, by Ohio Law, to publish, in their minutes, your name, address, occupation, whether assistance was granted or denied, the dollar amount of assistance if assistance was granted and the votes for and against the granting of assistance.
- Your need for financial assistance will be verified through checks with your employer, landlord, financial institution, creditors, etc.
- If fraud is detected on your behalf, the Erie County Veterans Service Commission will seek prosecution of you through the County Prosecutor's Office.
- If denied by the Erie County Veterans Service Commission, you will be advised of the reason for denial, and advised of your rights or limitations on how to appeal the decision.