1. Where do I obtain a marriage license?
A marriage license MUST be obtained in the county where either party resides. It may be used anywhere in the state of Ohio. If both parties reside out of state, a license may be granted in the county where the marriage is going to take place.
2. Where is the Probate Court located?
The Probate Court is located on the second floor of the Erie County Courthouse at 323 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky, Ohio.
3. When should we get our marriage license and how long does it take?
A marriage license may be obtained up to 60 days before the wedding is to take place. There is no waiting period and the license will be issued the same day and can be used the same day. Both parties must apply together. The process usually takes about 15 minutes.
4. What documentation do we have to bring to get a marriage license?
Both parties must bring a driver’s license/picture ID and birth certificate. If either party has been divorced, a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree must be provided.
5. How much does a marriage license cost?
The fee for a marriage license is $43.00 cash. No checks or credit cards are accepted.