Clerk of Courts General FAQs

Home  \  Clerk of Courts Gene...

General FAQs

1. Where is the Clerk of Courts office located?

The Clerk of Courts Office is located in the Erie County Courthouse at 323 Columbus Avenue, First Floor, Sandusky Ohio 44870. 

2. My credit report says I have a lien. What does this mean?

A lien is a legal claim for the satisfaction of some debt or duty, a right in one to control or hold and retain the property of another until some claim of the former is satisfied.

If it is a Judgment Lien or a State Tax Lien it is in our office. You need to bring in the Lien Release and the release fee (which we can tell you if you have the Lien number). Federal Tax Liens & Mechanics Liens are at the Recorders office.

3. Where can I get a copy of my divorce decree?

If you were divorced in Erie County you can get a copy from our office. The cost is .25 cents per page and $2.00 to certify the document. Have your Case number ready when requesting copies.

4. Where can I get a copy of my marriage license?

All Marriages are recorded in Probate Court (419-627-7750). Probate Court is located on the second floor of the Erie County Courthouse, 323 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky, Ohio 44870.

5. How do I obtain a copy of my birth certificate?

Birth and Death Records before 20 DEC 1908 are in Probate Court (419-627-7750); those after 20 DEC 1908 are at the Erie County Health Department, Bureau of Vital Statistics (419-626-5623).

6. When do I have to be in court?

This information can be obtained by calling the court you are scheduled to attend. Phone numbers are as follows:

Sandusky Municipal Court 
(419) 627-5917 

Erie County Common Pleas 
(419) 627-7731 

Erie County Family Court/Domestic Relations 
(419) 627-7782 

Probate Court
(419) 627-7750 

Erie County Municipal Court 
(419) 499-4689

7. Are the Local Rules online?

At this time, they are not available online. However, you can obtain a copy by sending a check for $15.00 made payable to the Clerk of Courts, 323 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky, OH 44870 and let us know if you want the Civil or Domestic Rules. It will then be mailed to you.

8. Do I record my DD214 with you?

Military Discharge papers are recorded in the Recorders Office (419) 627-7686.

9. How much does it cost to file a new Civil case; Divorce, Change of Custody, etc.? 

Fees for filing various case types can be viewed on our Legal Department page (a listing for each case type). 

10. Do you keep a list of foreclosures in your office? 

We do not maintain a list of foreclosures; you may visit the Civil Division of the Erie County Jail and ask for the "media room". There you will find a list of upcoming Sheriff Sales, which will be more beneficial to you than just looking for foreclosures that have been filed. The listing of Sheriff Sales are also available online.

11. My notary expired; do I have to take the test again? 

The Clerk of Courts office no longer executes Notaries for the State of Ohio.  Please contact the Ohio Notary Commission at (614) 644-4559 for any questions regarding notary commissions.

12. I work in one county and live in another county. In which county do I apply for my notary commission?

You apply in the county where you reside.

13. Can you tell me how to file for my divorce without an attorney?

We are not attorneys; therefore we cannot advise you or tell you how to prepare your paperwork for filing. We do have Domestic Rules available in our office for $15.00; there are some forms provided in the back of the rules.

14. Can you look-up records on your computer that are filed in other counties and states?

No, we do not keep national records, only records filed in our court. However, this information may be available for public access at other Clerk of Courts websites.

15. What are your office hours?

8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday

View text-based website